Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/22/2008, 09:50 PM   #1
flameangel88
Registered Member

Centropyge Colini or Colin's Angelfishes

Anyone have experience with them? Please share your experience and any tips to get them to eat and what you are feeding them. Pictures would be great. Thanks.

flameangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2008, 12:30 AM   #2
zemuron114
Moved On

the ones collected in philippines and Indo are iffy at best. Try to get one from Marshalls, Tonga, or Vanuatu if you can.

zemuron114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2008, 07:28 AM   #3
flameangel88
Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

Anyone have one or two in their tank?

Unread 04/23/2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Rare Angels
Registered Member

I will be getting some soon, but don't currently have any at this time.

They are reportedly shy and delicate but time will tell for me.

Current Tank Info: Currently working on resurrecting 250 gallon tank
Rare Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2008, 02:20 PM   #5
copps
Premium Member

The key is getting them to adapt... and you are at the mercy of their collection and treatment before you receive them. As I say in my signature, there is no angel that is tough to keep... just those that are tough to adapt... and C. colini is the case.

I've had my pair since '06. These originally came from Fiji. I originally had them as the sole pair of angels in a smaller system, but last year I added them to my large reef with many other Centropyge, including joculator and interruptus, and they do fine.

This species is fascinating... I own many Centropyge and these are quite unique in behavior. With time they are not that shy, nothing like C. aurantia for instance... they show themselves often and travel together most of the day, never being that far apart from eachother. Their closest relative appears to be Centropyge narcosis. Many people claim they are shy and need passive tankmates, but they have proven resilient and tough amongst my fray of tankmates I have them with... again a very cool angel.

The issue is that these guys are very widespread but not common anywhere. Believe it or not Pat Colin originally collected the species in joculator land in the Indian Ocean (Cocos-Keeling Islands). Pat Colin was also the first person to witness the newest species of angelfish... Centropyge abei. Colini are just delicate through capture and transport, so IF you could get them in good shape and feeding that is the biggest hurdle.

To do this the best method is the same method I use when I receive all of my angels... get them in a separate system with no competition, just ambient light, and a calming environment with no stress. Hammer them with all foods... find SOMETHING they will eat in the short term, and worry about long term nutrition later on. Get calories of something in them, and feed often... I feed sometimes 10 times a day if I'm home to new fish... so that they could replenish body weight and be aided in recovery... a fat fish is a fish that could fight off disease. If you notice signs of anything developing you could offer treatment... another advantage of not using the "dump and hope approach" as I call it... getting a new fish and dumping him into your display with a bunch of adapted and territorial fish that allow food to last about 8 seconds in their aquarium...

Anyway, here's a shot of my pair... male on the right...

EDIT:

After reading my post above I wanted to add something...

I cannot stress the need enough to get these guys fully adapted to a captive environment and fat and healthy long before adding them to any system where they'll be "beaten in". This could sometimes take months... adding these guys directly to an established system with competition will make your chances much less.

Also, the vast majority of these guys come in in horrible shape, so consider this before your purchase. With proper collection and proper adaptation, success in the long run could be had however...

Copps

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.
Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one we’re talking about.

Current Tank Info: displays are 1300 gallon SPS (8.5' x 6' x 42"), 240 gallon anemone, and 350 gallon fish only

Last edited by copps; 04/25/2008 at 02:26 PM.
copps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2008, 02:27 PM   #6
flameangel88
Registered Member

John,
Thank you so much for the information. That's a beautiful pair you have there.
Kevin

Unread 04/26/2008, 06:11 AM   #7
zemuron114
Moved On

copps is right on again! It is tough to find these fish in "perfect" condition. if they eat at your LFS then i would suggest getting them. If a fish like this eats, then your chances are better at adaptability.

zemuron114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2008, 09:03 AM   #8
flameangel88
Registered Member

Getting a good picture of them is difficult and dim lighting doesn't help.

When I got them back on 4/26

Venustus & Burgess that came in with the same order

Unread 05/14/2008, 09:05 AM   #9
flameangel88
Registered Member

Pictures from today