Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/08/2009, 05:40 PM   #1
ChadTheSpike
Reef Engineer

Why do you reef?

I was having a conversation with a non-reefer earlier today and my worst tank catastrophy came up. It was an ice storm that caused a six day power loss in sub-zero temperatures and massive road closures, I only had about a days worth of gasoline in my generator and my house and tank temperature got as low as the mid 40s. At the time, I think I had six separate display systems, several attached refugiums, some QTs and a bunch of culture tanks going. The storm caused almost a complete loss of all of my livestock. It was a horrible loss that I hope no one has to go through, ironically my four seahorses were the only thing to survive. After telling this story, my friend could not understand why I continued on with the hobby and recover my tanks. I remember at the time that I was very upset, but the idea of quitting the hobby just never occured to me; however, the conversation did get me thinking about why I continue to do it.

For me this answer is simple, I love the ocean and reefing is a way for me to have some of it with me all the time. I also love the challenge of it, it always teaches me that there is more to learn and that no matter how good my techniques are, there is always something that I can do to improve it.

It is important to keep the reasons we reef close to so that we can get through the difficult times and share our passion in the good times.

So, I pose the question to you, why do you reef?

Thanks!!

Chad (who obviously has too much time on my hands today!!)

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Current Tank Info: 195 gallons of fun
ChadTheSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Richard Reefer
Registered Member

Great topic...

I reef because it is challenging, exciting, entertaining, and much more. I love the ocean and all the life it harbors, sea life is simply amazing, for lack of a better word. I love to watch and learn about all the complexities of the life that we care for in our tank. Just as I could sit and stare at the ocean or the reefs in them, I can do the same with my tank, it's my own little slice of paradise.

Unread 12/08/2009, 05:57 PM   #3
ginnboy
Registered Member

because I love the ocean and I can teach my childen to take care of it cause they are the future and the ones to take care of it

ginnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Laddy
Registered Member

I reef to insure that I never have a relaxing vacation ever again!

Like just this past Thanksgiving my wife, daughter and I went to visit the inlaws.........seven days in the Rockies with snow and lots of time.

Enough time, that is, to ask myself over and over the same questions: is there enough water in the top off tank?, will the automatic feeder malfunction again like it did a year ago?, I should have decreased the photo period on the lights to control evap....stupid, stupid, stupid,........our answering machine picked up, that means the circuit didn't pop, that's good.

And then walking into our house, after spending all day trying to get home by plane, and seeing..............seeing...........what's this? Fish swimming, water contained, everything's fine. Oh the joy!!!!!!

Hey it's what we do, Chad.

Hobbies: I enjoy moving water from point A, to point B, back to point A

WANTED: True ATL Appleberry Palawanensis Frag, PM me.

Current Tank Info: Current Build: 180 Reef; 55 holding tank
Laddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 06:03 PM   #5
ChadTheSpike
Reef Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
I reef to insure that I never have a relaxing vacation ever again!

Like just this past Thanksgiving my wife, daughter and I went to visit the inlaws.........seven days in the Rockies with snow and lots of time.

Enough time, that is, to ask myself over and over the same questions: is there enough water in the top off tank?, will the automatic feeder malfunction again like it did a year ago?, I should have decreased the photo period on the lights to control evap....stupid, stupid, stupid,........our answering machine picked up, that means the circuit didn't pop, that's good.

And then walking into our house, after spending all day trying to get home by plane, and seeing..............seeing...........what's this? Fish swimming, water contained, everything's fine. Oh the joy!!!!!!

Hey it's what we do, Chad.
haha! I can totally relate to your post!! its funny though, when I was reading the first paragraph I was thinking that your non-relaxing vacation would be spent snorkelling and exploring reefs... But, even when I am snorkelling and exploring reefs, I still think about my tank and the various things that I hope are being done while I am away!!

I agree, its what we do. That is simply put, and I love it.

Unread 12/08/2009, 06:04 PM   #6
insane
Moved On

On the serious side, because it is challenging and beautiful. The animals are incredible.

On the silly side, because an aiptasia told me "If you build it, they will come"

insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 06:10 PM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

I was told reefers get all the hot babes...

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 06:13 PM   #8
Necsones
Registered Member

I reef because its so relexing to just stair into ur tank for hours lol.

Necsones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 06:13 PM   #9
mdntrdr
Registered Member

because an aiptasia told me "If you build it, they will come"

LMAO!

Current Tank Info: 220G. AGA ~ RR ~ SSB mixed reef ~ 40G. DSB sump/fuge ~ GFO and GAC reactors ~ 72" Aqualight Pro ~ MRC-MR2 Skimmer ~ THAT'S HOW I RIDE!!!!
mdntrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 06:14 PM   #10
SeasonedReefer
Registered Member

I reef for the BEER and The B*tches!

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon lps,sps tank
SeasonedReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 06:16 PM   #11
ChadTheSpike
Reef Engineer

You all's posts are great!! keep 'em coming"

I too can (and do) stare at my tank for hours... you never know what you are going to see!

Unread 12/08/2009, 06:25 PM   #12
SaltieG
Registered Member

I have asked myself this question many times and I guess the reason I do it is because I have always found ocean life very fascinating and exciting, so to have my own little piece is pretty neat. Its also just something for me to do around here although it can be a headache at times.

I really do not know how the heck i got into this hobby in the first place. I had never ever been interested in this sort of thing and then one day I went over a buddys house and saw his freshwater tank. I thought hmmm these things are pretty neat and relaxing to just watch. So anyways I went out and started up a 55g freshwater tank and then a couple months later got the urge to try a marine tank. Ever since then its been what it is now. I really do enjoy reefing and I also enjoy keeping my FW tank. My goal is to have one nice reef tank and one nice planted FW discus tank.

Unread 12/08/2009, 06:26 PM   #13
Ritten
Registered Member

Saw a saltwater tank in a store when I was a little girl and just knew one day I would have one.

Ritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 06:30 PM   #14
Beandawg
I see whatchu did there.

I wish I could stop. My addictive personality won't let me.

Beandawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 06:54 PM   #15
Peale
Registered Member

Fish and the ocean have just always been a 'part' of me. I have always been drawn to water and all the little critters in it.

When I was growing up we had horses, dogs, cats, birds...but I was not allowed to have a tank because 'fish are dirty'. LOL! Well, as soon as I moved out of my parent's house, I had my tanks. I started with fresh and soon got bored. I emptied out my tank and started a salt tank cycling. I knew nothing and learned from all the mistakes I made/make. I will always have a tank and will always enjoy every minute of it!

Peale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 06:59 PM   #16
jb61264
Registered Member

I love the hobby because it is challenging and very gratifying. It also satisfies the science geek in me when you consider the "chemistry"...the "biology"...the "physics" that are involved.

I get strange looks when people ask me about why I'm in the hobby and most of the time I tell them that some people have a car in their garage that they spend thousands of dollars restoring....I spend hundreds on the underwater garden in my living room

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon SPS reef/55 gallon sump/6x54W TEK T5HO/Reef Octopus 200 Extreme Skimmer/Reef Octopus Single Chamber Calcium Reactor/RKL
jb61264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 06:59 PM   #17
sedor
Registered Member

I just like the idea of building and maintaining my own little ecosystem. Its somewhat of a god-like feeling. Also, its the perfect hobby for a personality like my own that is constantly wanting to research and tweak my system.

Unread 12/08/2009, 07:07 PM   #18
phenom5
Unregistered Member

A reef tank is cheaper (not by much ) than flying to Fiji every weekend to go diving.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 Pro | ATI Sunpower | ATB 840 v2 | Apex | Wav
phenom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 07:09 PM   #19
NaClCrocodile
Registered Member

Taking a marine science course this year and took one look before I knew I'd have one.

NaClCrocodile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 07:25 PM   #20
ChadTheSpike
Reef Engineer

These are great!

By the way I was just editing some pictures, and found this one that my girlfriend had taken... I didnt know she had taken it... a picture is worth a thousand words.

Unread 12/08/2009, 07:26 PM   #21
fufu
Registered Member

the joy of having things upgraded; skimmers, reactors etc...

fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 07:28 PM   #22
fishguy84
Registered Member

It's like a high.

After a long day at work, almost no matter how bad it is, if I see something in the tank that I didn't notice before... all negative emotions go out the window while I stare forever trying to figure out whats going on.

fishguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 07:35 PM   #23
hummermaniac88
Registered Member

Montreal is far from any body of water that houses amazing species like oceans. Owning an aquarium allows me to see things that i would only see on vacation, I would say it's semi-therapeutic.

Current Tank Info: 135G + 33G REF + 25ish G Bin
hummermaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 07:40 PM   #24
Zebodog
Registered Member

I needed something to drain my bank accounts.

Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2009, 07:51 PM   #25
Nerd1717
Registered Member

I got into it because the Bengals (I live in Cincinnati) had a bye week and I was bored as sin. I went to the phone store, which is next to the pet store, and ended up with a reef tank. Wierd.

Nerd1717 is offline   Reply With Quote