Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2010, 02:23 PM   #1
velvetelvis
Registered Member

Help! Fuzzy pink algae--can it be defeated?!?

It came in on a frag that I bought from a friend, and seemed to stay put, so I had no idea what kind of plague I'd brought into my tank. Then it started to spread...and spread...and spread. It's easy to pull off, but comes back overnight.

I think it's Asparagopsis, judging from the algae guide I bought...anyway, I was told that Mexican turbo snails would take care of it, so I got one, but so far mine hasn't touched it. Has anybody successfully battled this evil, evil stuff? It's getting all over everything--live rock, tank walls, even my halimeda. I fear for my corals. Help!

Additional information that may be helpful:
*It's only 34G (Solana), so a tang or rabbitfish is out of the question, unfortunately.
*Murphy's Law being what it is, it's also skimmerless at the moment, because my Sapphire up and died on me (the company has gone out of business and the skimmer can't be modded). Because of the way the tank is constructed, there aren't really any skimmers that fit without modding, but I've heard very mixed reviews on those anyway. The stock skimmer is pretty useless.

Last edited by velvetelvis; 04/24/2010 at 02:38 PM.
velvetelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2010, 10:54 PM   #2
sbcaes
Registered Member

id like to buy some?

sbcaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2010, 08:29 AM   #3
scubabum1983
Registered Member

same here, id like some too.

scubabum1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 11:09 PM   #4
justnmatt79
Registered Member

I have the same problem. It came in with my chaeto and is now everywhere. It took over my chaeto completely after a month or so. Between my GSP, on my sandbed, stuck in the rock. UGH!

I have a couple turbo snails and they haven't touched it. I manually remove it constantly but it is a battle. If anyone has a fix, I would love to hear it.

justnmatt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2010, 08:52 AM   #5
rlwreefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabum1983 View Post
same here, id like some too.
Why would you like to buy some? Really? Is this a good algae? I have the same issue. It seems to be spreading. What is the real name for this algae? Does anyone have a reference link that decribes it?

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon aga
rlwreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2010, 09:31 AM   #6
velvetelvis
Registered Member

Trust me, you don't want this cr*p. It spreads like wildfire and is near impossible to get rid of. It will start to overgrow your corals and your other macros. I ended up removing my LR and replacing it with a new, algae-free batch, plus I finally got a "genuine" Mexican turbo snail who takes care of it when he finds it. Luckily my tank is only 34G, or else it would have been really expensive. Even now I have to be vigilant and check the tank for signs of it--every so often I'll find a bit of it here and there. Vile, hateful stuff--avoid at all costs!!!

velvetelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2010, 11:27 AM   #7
justnmatt79
Registered Member

Agreed, if I knew then what I know now it would have never been introduced. My problem is that I built a rock wall, and I can't take it out without a compete tank tear down. I literally do weekly removal sessions with a toothbrush and siphon.

justnmatt79 is offline   Reply With Quote