Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2010, 03:16 PM   #1
JG1
Registered Member

Vodka and MB7 for a brand new tank?

Hey guys,

Setting up my 100g Miracles tank soon....within the next 4 weeks. Will have 0 livestock in the tank for a while.

When should I begin dosing MB7, right away? Best to follow the directions on the bottle or is there another dosing scheme that seems to work well?

About vodka, can/should this be done on a new tank as well?

Current Tank Info: 100g Rimless Starphire
JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Genetics
Registered Member

There are two sides to that question. If you start early with your tank on dosing there would be less concern about overdosing as the possibility of the initial bloom would result during the startup phase and not affect future inhabitants. However, you may not need to dose anything at all if your aquarium can handle it by itself.

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2010, 03:29 PM   #3
JG1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetics View Post
There are two sides to that question. If you start early with your tank on dosing there would be less concern about overdosing as the possibility of the initial bloom would result during the startup phase and not affect future inhabitants. However, you may not need to dose anything at all if your aquarium can handle it by itself.
How early is too early?

I'm getting back into the hobby and don't have anything to put in the tank right now. I'm going to go with uncured bali alor LR and just let it cure in the tank for a month or so with the lights off.

MB7 during this period?

Vodka?

Current Tank Info: 100g Rimless Starphire
JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Genetics
Registered Member

If you think you will definitely use supplementation then I would start adding the first sign that nitrates may not be controlled by your filtration. So in a few weeks when your tank is stable you notice nitrates higher than you want then I would start around then.

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2010, 07:06 PM   #5
reefgeezer
Registered Member

I used vodka and MB7 and was not a fan. I'm back to a DSB and macroalgae. RTN was a big issue for me.

reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2010, 07:52 PM   #6
JALREEFER
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgeezer View Post
I used vodka and MB7 and was not a fan. I'm back to a DSB and macroalgae. RTN was a big issue for me.
You should have let your alk drop

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JALREEFER is offline   Reply With Quote