Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/15/2011, 11:44 PM   #1
AGYDAL
Registered Member

My Vertex Illumina Photos.

Please don't ask me what size fixture would fit over your tank, there are other threads out there for that Questions about my system or photos are fine though...hope you all enjoy...

AGYDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2011, 01:48 AM   #2
Luxo
Registered Member

Nice, are you adding the red module?
Can't wait to try those.

Luxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2011, 02:28 AM   #3
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Thank you!

At the moment, no...I read about them but I didn't get too excited about it...saltwater isn't my #1 hobby and since I'm beyond happy with my fixture, I figure I'll just sit back and see others results first...I'm also slightly terrified that if I change my lighting my neomeris (I spelled it wrong, its a nuisance macro algae) will return with a vengeance...I'm not kidding when I say I had nightmares about that algae!

On happy note, here's more pictures...

Unread 08/16/2011, 05:29 PM   #4
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Constructive criticisms also appreciated...

Unread 08/16/2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Recty
Registered Member

Most of your photos have that slightly blurred look that isnt motion blur or just crappy focus, but is caused by you not having your lens exactly perpendicular to the glass. Try to take the pictures with your lens exactly perpendicular to the camera and I think you'll see what I mean.

For instance, the last picture you posted looks fine. Everything in focus. However, the one right above it nothing is in focus, it's all just slightly off and has that "weird" look to it. That's caused by not being 90 degrees to the glass.

Recty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2011, 06:49 PM   #6
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Awesome! Thank you, I'll try that!

I was thinking that it was my leaving the pumps on and shooting through a 30" deep tank since my focus issue is only on my tank photos...but I never thought about the perpendicular and I'm much taller than my stumpy tank DUH!

What do you think of the white balance for the LED? I do have the fixture running rather blue and I shoot all my images in RAW but I only post processed from the camera on these, then uploaded to photobucket.

I'm an outdoor person, recently I'm not able to get out as much, so I've been photographing my tank and this tank photo stuff has thrown me a few learning curves...I'm enjoying the challenge though, been awhile since my camera made me think

Once again thank you for the tips! One of my minors in undergrad was studio art so I'm used to and enjoy critiques.

Unread 08/16/2011, 10:49 PM   #7
DJPB
Premium Member

So amazing. Everything looks very healthy and happy. I especially enjoy the photo of the heart-shaped fleshy brain coral on the sandbed. Thanks for sharing these!

DJPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2011, 11:20 PM   #8
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Thanks! I have an awesome LFS Can't wait for the little clowns swimming in the middle of the tank to find the BTA. The mandarin's fun to try and photo for now though.

Unread 08/16/2011, 11:54 PM   #9
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Unread 08/17/2011, 08:09 PM   #10
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Cabin fever struck again today, tried to make the most out of it by improving my salty photo skills...constructive criticism once again appreciated.*
*first ones sorta meh...but I'm trying to go with a theme of photographing the light in a different way for each series I post, that one was the best.

Unread 08/17/2011, 09:05 PM   #11
Memeber007
Registered Member

Very nice job! Your tank proves that you can have a beautiful tank without sps corals!

Memeber007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2011, 10:43 PM   #12
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Thanks! I just can't get into SPS, reminds me of the game Pick Up Sticks and I always hated that game as a kid

I like the boxfish in your avatar...I would love to have one or one of the smaller species of angler fish. What type of tank is your boxfish in? How do you like the fish?

Unread 08/18/2011, 10:49 AM   #13
slief
RC Sponsor

Very nice!! You tank looks great and your photographic skills are very impressive!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 01:09 PM   #14
mordibv
Registered Member

Very nice . Is that a urchin ? Good pic's . Is that a 70 or 93 cube ?

Current Tank Info: No tank ATM
mordibv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 06:19 PM   #15
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Slief- Thank you for the kind words. I read through your thread awhile ago, awesome tank and the yorkie skimmer was hilarious! I'm pretty sure when I lived in the L.A. area the first apartment I had was about the size of your tank!

Moridv- Thank you, the urchin is a tuxedo urchin...I love the little guy, but he picks up everything that isn't glued down including the occasional hermit crab
The tank is a 70 gallon Marineland Deep Dimension Series...my original plan for this tank was a top viewable clam dominated tank so I went with the 70 for better viewing.

Unread 08/18/2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Giglamesh
Registered Member

what size fixture is that? and what are dimensions of your tank, i guess they really do put out insane amounts of light.

Current Tank Info: shallow 3 foot
Giglamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2011, 06:39 PM   #17
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Last edited by AGYDAL; 08/18/2011 at 06:46 PM.
Unread 08/18/2011, 07:09 PM   #18
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglamesh View Post
what size fixture is that? and what are dimensions of your tank, i guess they really do put out insane amounts of light.
SR300 (12") 200 series with the Rebel LEDs hanging about 6" above the water
30x30x18" tank.
This fixture should come with welding goggles its so bright

Unread 08/18/2011, 09:45 PM   #19
Giglamesh
Registered Member

wow im quite amazed, that the 12 inch fixture works so well, most people would use a 2 foot fixture, but i would think having seen this that unless your wanting sps in every inch of the tank that size would be perfect.

Current Tank Info: shallow 3 foot
Giglamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2011, 12:00 PM   #20
pk-sd
Registered Member

Very nice pictures. Can't wait to get my illumina

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2078022

Current Tank Info: 160g mixed reef, 50g mixed reef(RIP), 30g office reef(had to take it down)
pk-sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2011, 12:56 PM   #21
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglamesh View Post
wow im quite amazed, that the 12 inch fixture works so well, most people would use a 2 foot fixture, but i would think having seen this that unless your wanting sps in every inch of the tank that size would be perfect.
Yep, I will admit, I was a bit nervous about the using such a small fixture but as soon as it turned on POOF! my worries were gone. I hate that people keep focusing on the price and not the entire fixture...I ended up with half the size of fixture I thought I needed, and my only real cost (besides electricity) for the next 10 years after the inital purchase is the occasional bottle of compressed air to blow the dust off it lol!

Unread 08/19/2011, 01:05 PM   #22
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk-sd View Post
Very nice pictures. Can't wait to get my illumina
I'm glad to hear you decided to go with the Vertex, once you get it up and running, you're going to wonder why you even bothered looking at the competition

One thing I would suggest is a USB extender cable for the V-stick...I feel I get better communication between my laptop and the fixture with a 10 foot extender cord and I don't have to get my laptop any closer to water than I have to!

Sorry I don't know how to answer multiple people in one reply from my phone.

Last edited by AGYDAL; 08/19/2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: curse you auto correct!
Unread 08/19/2011, 01:41 PM   #23
Bobbofin
Registered Member

AGYDAL,

Wow! I was considering a 24" fixture for a my 24x24x24" Marineland cube. It looks like it lights your 30x30x18" Marineland cube fine so a 12" fixture would do the trick. Thanks!

Bobbofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2011, 09:37 AM   #24
Jacob D
Registered Member

Seeing your setup makes me want to get back in the hobby... I better run away and fast!

Very nice

Current Tank Info: Retired from reefing...
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2011, 04:11 PM   #25
AGYDAL
Registered Member

Now for a brief photo intermission, provided by my bathtub gremlin.