Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2011, 05:07 PM   #1
reefslugs
Registered Member

What do I use for a baby tank set up?

I have a 200g tank. I have two pairs of clowns laying eggs all the time. One pair of pec's and one pair of the orange skunks. I've decided to try and see if I can raise some babies. I ordered the live rodifers tonight. I have the instructions and all the equipment to them. Now I'm trying to figure out what do I do for the baby tank. I'm thinking about getting a couple of ten gallons. I know I'm going to need heaters, but what do I do for filtration? What other stuff do I need?

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2011, 08:47 PM   #2
jbax
Registered Member

buy the book clownfishes by joyce d wilkerson. it gives you a day by day schedule of what to do with food/water and filtration.

120g 4x2, dart pump, i-tech 100, tunze ato, apex controller & lunar simulator.

Current Tank Info: 120g, 54 corner
jbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2011, 09:14 PM   #3
tpdpercula
Registered Member

I agree with jbax, the book is key to raising clowns.

Current Tank Info: 210g Mixed Reef tank, (2) 60g frag tanks (containing a Sohal in one & Naso in the other along with breeding pairs of True Percs, 40g frag tank w/Pair of Picassos, 24 Nano w/ breeding pair of True Percs and 24 Nano Mixed Reef w/pair of Ocellaris
tpdpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2011, 09:44 PM   #4
RandyReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbax View Post
buy the book clownfishes by joyce d wilkerson. it gives you a day by day schedule of what to do with food/water and filtration.
I am wanting to breed clownfish to, I was trying to get that book but it goes for like 60 bucks and higher

RandyReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2011, 11:33 PM   #5
slosht
Registered Member

Whoa, the prices on that book skyrocketed, a quick google search and I found it for $30.99 at 1 place and $60+ at others. A good second choice is "The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes" by Matthew L. Wittenrich. It doesn't just focus on clowns but it is full of useful information, can be had for ~30.

slosht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2011, 05:33 PM   #6
jbax
Registered Member

the price of the book is worth the information in it.

wait till you buy all the equipment needed to breed clownfish.

Unread 09/27/2011, 07:21 PM   #7
reefslugs
Registered Member

A lot of places have the book discontinued. I'm not buying a 100 dollar book written in 1997.

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2011, 07:28 PM   #8
2reefnutz
Registered Member

http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/

This is where you can get a ton of info..... also Barbara on reef-geeks.com is a pro and makes it much easier than the book by Joyce W. IMO.....good luck

Unread 09/27/2011, 07:55 PM   #9
RandyReefer
Registered Member

I found a site that sells the book for less than $20. It's called aquastoreusa I haven't bought it yet but I will soon. I think the owners of the online store don't know the price skyrocketed. Lol

RandyReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2011, 08:24 PM   #10
jbax
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2reefnutz View Post
http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/

This is where you can get a ton of info..... also Barbara on reef-geeks.com is a pro and makes it much easier than the book by Joyce W. IMO.....good luck
the book gives you a step by step, day by day schedule on what to do with the fry. it even has pictures. clownfish still spawn the same way they did 14yrs ago. but instead of bbs you can feed Otohime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefslugs View Post
I have a 200g tank. I have two pairs of clowns laying eggs all the time. One pair of pec's and one pair of the orange skunks. I've decided to try and see if I can raise some babies. I ordered the live rodifers tonight. I have the instructions and all the equipment to them. Now I'm trying to figure out what do I do for the baby tank. I'm thinking about getting a couple of ten gallons. I know I'm going to need heaters, but what do I do for filtration? What other stuff do I need?
do you want to raise like one or two batches or do you want to raise multiple batches?

are you going to sell the babies to your LFS? from home? to a breeder?

Unread 09/27/2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Aaarrrggg
Registered Member

If you sometimes get lucky and pick up that book for cheaper on Amazon. Managed to grab one for $19 a couple of weeks ago.

Current Tank Info: 144g Half Circle Oceanic (started 11/7/2011)
Aaarrrggg is offline   Reply With Quote