Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/18/2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Dendrobates
Registered Member

Difference between Frogspawn and Octospawn

Hey guys,

I've had a few frogspawns and seen them at many different stores, branching and wall corals. I saw an octospawn at a local fish store but it sold as I was looking at it. Appeared to have more strands off of each head and smaller polyps, but I haven't found very much information on octospawns other than the fact that they are in the same genus as frogspawns, Euphyllia, and are harder to come by.

Anyone want to share some pictures of each in their tanks and maybe some information if there are slight differences in care? Thanks,

Derek

Dendrobates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2013, 11:35 AM   #2
rapture
Moved On

same care, same deal. here is a pic of my branching orange octo. im running ai sol superblue. co the camera doesn't quite pick up the color as it truly is

rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Taipan
Registered Member

Thumbs up Australian Orange Octobubble pics....

From my Display:

Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2013, 09:49 AM   #4
mbcolangelo
Registered Member

Had no idea one was an "octospawn"

3 FS (well, 2 and I guess the 3rd would be octospawn)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

mbcolangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Dendrobates
Registered Member

Can't view your pictures. The octospawns look more branch like from each head as well

Dendrobates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2013, 11:47 AM   #6
pgammon
Registered Member

Wow Taipan, nice!!

pgammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2014, 05:15 PM   #7
Gwiizzy
Registered Member

do these have additional care things mine was a save, i got one was kinda dying in shop and he's been in there a few days but still not coming all the way out any tips? my bubble is super mad too

Gwiizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2015, 09:05 PM   #8
Goby_Clarence
Registered Member

Admittedly I just got mine 2 days ago, but I plopped it on the sand next to my frogspawn, and its been adjusting to the light and flow nicely.
I have a hammer next to them as well so all I need is a baby torch and ive got a good set. if anyone is in the philadelphia, doylestown, allentown area and has any torches and are willing to trade, please message me!

Pic light is Ocean Revive, 2 channel LEDs, royal blue at 1% for dawn/dusk hung 11" above the water. Flow is low at night and moderate during the day.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1433126965444.jpg (52.0 KB, 110 views)

Current Tank Info: 75 display mixed reef, 4.5 gallon fuge with banded goby and pistol pair, 29 gallon sump with DSB, 20 gal additional fuge with firefish gobies, Reef Octopus 150 INT, pendant LEDs and 165 watt LED fixtures, 29 gal mixed reef, 5 gal fluval all-in-one
Goby_Clarence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2015, 06:40 PM   #9
eddiereefs
Registered Member

I think the octospawn is another gimmick in the coral world such as everyone thinks they can rename corals that have existed for several years. Apparently i have an octospawn and a regular frogspawn but paid the same price. Now the lfs lables them octo and charges more smh. There are branching and wall hammers, branching and budding duncans dont even start with sps lol. So why wouldnt there be diff types of frogspawn? I do like the orange ones tho

eddiereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Goby_Clarence
Registered Member

Same concept with zoas and acans. The colors bleed into each other as neighboring colonies grow. "Designer" color patterns and variations are born. We have to keep in mind supply and demand. Octospawn, at least in my neck of the woods, is uncommon, hence higher price than a Duncan. I agree completely that the difference in price should be minimal, but Im willing to pay an extra couple dollars for a frag of something I havent seen before over one that I have 13 heads of in my tank.

I still want a torch so I can complete the set...

Current Tank Info: 75 display mixed reef, 4.5 gallon fuge with banded goby and pistol pair, 29 gallon sump with DSB, 20 gal additional fuge with firefish gobies, Reef Octopus 150 INT, pendant LEDs and 165 watt LED fixtures, 29 gal mixed reef, 5 gal fluval all-in-one
Goby_Clarence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2015, 05:34 PM   #11
homer1475
Registered Member

My octo I just got a couple days ago.

As far as them being the same as frogspawn, they have more tentacles, and more "bubbles" on the tentacles. I do agree that it is just a different type of frogspawn since they are so closely related in looks and the way they grow.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote