Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

Refractometer from amazon any good

They have many to choose from starting at $15 and up. Really don't have loads of money to spend so wonder if the ones under $30 are any good or waste of money? Any recommendations thinking black Friday?

http://www.amazon.com/MAGNUM_MEDIA-T...=refractometer

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2014, 06:54 PM   #2
m0nkie
Registered Member

I use ATC from Amazon and it's been working flawlessly. just a few bucks more. but looks exactly the same

http://www.amazon.com/Salinity-Refra...+refractometer

don't just buy the cheapest in this hobby.. the one you posted had no reviews..

Unread 11/20/2014, 07:00 PM   #3
btucker7587
Registered Member

Use the Milwaukee digital refractometer. Learned early on, the cheapest route will kill your tank. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/milwau...actometer.html

My $40 refractometer was mis-calibrated and I was .04 higher salinity than what was being read...

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon (60x24x24) Acrylic Reef Tank. Apex Controller, Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer, Reefbreeder 48” LED Lights, 2x Jebao RW 15 Power heads, 2x 300w Heater (Kotobuku), 70 Gallon DIY sump, Jebao UV sterilizer, GFO and Carbon reactors
btucker7587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Jyetman
Registered Member

Thank you

Unread 11/20/2014, 09:34 PM   #5
BryanS4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkie View Post
I use ATC from Amazon and it's been working flawlessly. just a few bucks more. but looks exactly the same

http://www.amazon.com/Salinity-Refra...+refractometer

don't just buy the cheapest in this hobby.. the one you posted had no reviews..
I have this one as well and it works perfect, love it.

BryanS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2014, 10:26 PM   #6
DasCamel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanS4 View Post
I have this one as well and it works perfect, love it.
Regardless of what you buy, get saltwater calibration fluid!

Current Tank Info: 375g Build thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608197
DasCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 07:46 PM   #7
phillrodrigo
Registered Member

I buy the one from brs. I got it Last year on black Friday with fluid for 25. It's the atc refractometer

phillrodrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 07:53 PM   #8
shesacharmer
Registered Member

I got the one you listed last May and it's worked perfectly for me.

Current Tank Info: A work in progress...
shesacharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 08:20 PM   #9
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Always calibrate them!

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2014, 08:31 PM   #10
whiteshark
Registered Member

I have 3 from 3 different places. I've found that as long as they are calibrated with calibration solution on a regular basis they all work great (and all jive with each other). Just make sure you get an ATC one and I think you'll be fine.

Unread 11/21/2014, 09:36 PM   #11
NSimpkins
Registered Member

I agree with @btucker7587. I got one recently and next to my RODI it was the best purchase I've ever made for my tank. It is a little more expensive but it is $83 right now which is a lot cheaper than I got it for. Wish I knew it was going on sale.

NSimpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 05:32 AM   #12
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

I have the same one, purchased elsewhere. As long as you calibrate regularly, they work fine.
e sure to calibrate to a know salinity and NOT RO/DI. There are many thread already on that topoic.

Current Tank Info: Too small
kmbyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Jyetman
Registered Member

Now I have another problem. Getting ready to place the order with amazon and thought I buy some calibration fluid too. After reading comments many are complaining of price scams. Which product do I buy from amazon?

((COMMENT))
When I first bought this calibration solution it was priced at 2 dollars and change. Then, one day, the company decided to increase the price to an average $9.99 How can you justify the price increase ? I decided to email the company and ask.

Well, the representative was non helpful, saying, "frankly since we are the only people making this solution, we decided to increase the price" I was shocked that the rep would even write this comment in an email!

There is no merit or justification, just greed. Being a consumer advocate, I stopped buying this solution. I decided to consult with other reefers on forums and most suggested making your own calibration solution.

Here is how:
Use a refractometer to make 1 gallon of saltwater to your specific gravity. 1.023-1.025. Then calibrate your Pinpoint Salinity monitor to the solution you just made. By doing this, you just made 1 gallon for less than a dollar. When there is a will there is a way.

Based on incredulous business practices by Pinpoint and on consumer principle,I would NOT recommend this calibration solution

http://www.amazon.com/American-Marin...ibration+fluid

Unread 11/22/2014, 01:49 PM   #14
Jyetman
Registered Member

bump

Unread 11/22/2014, 02:25 PM   #15
m0nkie
Registered Member

There are many companies that make calibration fluid.. mine was about $5. I've used that bottle for 8 months already

Unread 11/22/2014, 04:50 PM   #16
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkie View Post
There are many companies that make calibration fluid.. mine was about $5. I've used that bottle for 8 months already
What company did you buy from?

Unread 11/22/2014, 05:27 PM   #17
whiteshark
Registered Member

I usually just buy whatever the LFS has. I wouldn't get too caught up over 10$. It's gonna last a loooong time and gonna be one of the cheaper items you will buy for you tank. It's necessary as far as I'm concerned. You can just Google it if you really want to try to save a couple bucks.

Unread 11/23/2014, 07:03 AM   #18
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Over the years refractometers have become a bit of an obsession for me. You can find the beginnings of my obsession in this thread:

Refractometers Brine vs. Seawater

I will spare you the need to spend hours and hours reading and give you a quick synopsis. . .

1) Cheap refractometers can be 10% or more off. That means if you don't calibrate them with a good 35 ppt calibration fluid, but rather set them using RO water then your reef can be running anywhere between 32 ppt to 38 ppt.

2) Even cheap refractometers work great IF you properly calibrate them using a 35 ppt solution.

3) Therefore having an expensive refractometer is NOT important BUT having quality calibration fluid is.

So if you have a cheap refractometer, your choice of calibration fluids is critical, and I would steer clear of any unknown knock-offs.

American Marine Pinpoint Salinity Calibration Fluid

If, by chance, you DO become interested in buying a quality refractometer that is known to be properly calibrated for SEAWATER and NOT BRINE WATER then the Vee Gee STX-3 is a great choice.

Reef Hobbyist Magazine journalist, and all around SPS nut!

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..

Last edited by JPMagyar; 11/23/2014 at 07:09 AM.
JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2014, 03:43 PM   #19
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post
Over the years refractometers have become a bit of an obsession for me. You can find the beginnings of my obsession in this thread:

Refractometers Brine vs. Seawater

I will spare you the need to spend hours and hours reading and give you a quick synopsis. . .

1) Cheap refractometers can be 10% or more off. That means if you don't calibrate them with a good 35 ppt calibration fluid, but rather set them using RO water then your reef can be running anywhere between 32 ppt to 38 ppt.

2) Even cheap refractometers work great IF you properly calibrate them using a 35 ppt solution.

3) Therefore having an expensive refractometer is NOT important BUT having quality calibration fluid is.

So if you have a cheap refractometer, your choice of calibration fluids is critical, and I would steer clear of any unknown knock-offs.

American Marine Pinpoint Salinity Calibration Fluid

If, by chance, you DO become interested in buying a quality refractometer that is known to be properly calibrated for SEAWATER and NOT BRINE WATER then the Vee Gee STX-3 is a great choice.
Thanks for the info! So the provided link for Pinpoint Salinity Calibration is the one you recommend correct?

Unread 11/23/2014, 08:38 PM   #20
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyetman View Post
Thanks for the info! So the provided link for Pinpoint Salinity Calibration is the one you recommend correct?
Yes. Pinpoint creates products specifically for the hobby, and they have an excellent reputation of producing quality material. You can buy a $15 refractometer, but so long as you calibrate it every time with Pinpoint Calibration fluid you'll be much closer to keeping 35 ppt than most reefers.

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..
Unread 11/23/2014, 08:49 PM   #21
garyinco
Registered Member

I agree with the calibration comments. I have a 2oz bottle by Aqua Craft Products. It came from the most trusted LFS in my area. That will last me a 1,000 years. I could fill up a small unused dropper bottle I have and mail it to you.

garyinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2014, 11:27 PM   #22
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

I have owned some refractometers and did a bunch of research because I'm so disappointed that they're all so hard to read. We I got to checking around and found RED SEA to be the easiest to read. The markings are far apart and easy to read.

That's RED SEA.

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2014, 11:41 PM   #23
cherubfish pair
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherubfish pair View Post
I have owned some refractometers and did a bunch of research because I'm so disappointed that they're all so hard to read. We I got to checking around and found RED SEA to be the easiest to read. The markings are far apart and easy to read.

That's RED SEA.
http://youtu.be/uitnvXi0sxA?list=UUX...2d5DAlA5FiyuOQ

Thanks for looking at my build thread and subscribe to it if you already haven't yet!

Current Tank Info: thirty rimless
cherubfish pair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 06:28 AM   #24
66nag
Registered Member

Sorry if this is off topic, but does/can the calibration solution evaporate over time, thus becoming less accurate?
I suppose what I am asking is how long is the calibration solution good for?

66nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 06:55 AM   #25
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nag View Post
Sorry if this is off topic, but does/can the calibration solution evaporate over time, thus becoming less accurate?
I suppose what I am asking is how long is the calibration solution good for?
Absolutely positively you are correct the solution has a shelf life. It depends on where and how you store it. I found that after 3 years my original fluid was off by 1 ppt.

One nice aspect about the expensive refractometer is something called 20/20. In addition to using a fluid you can also calibrate the refractometer using RO water in a room exactly 68 degrees F (20 degrees C). When calibrated in a 20 C room, the refractometer should read exactly 35 ppt with a proper calibration fluid after being calibrated to 0 using RO water. The units are temperature compensating, but when using RO to calibrate the unit it will only be perfect if calibrated at 20c. If you are using calibration fluid temperature is not really important so long as it is something close to the temperature you normally have in your room. In the winter I keep my basement at exactly 68 degrees (+- 2 degrees which is too small to make a difference) and so I can calibrate my refractometer using just RO water and THEN test the fluid I have. My original interest in this topic arose when I found that by using the RO method I got different readings from calibration fluid on my DD Refractometer versus my Vee Gee STX-3 and my Vital Sine refract. At the time I was convinced that the DD was specially made for seawater, but what I learned was that it was NOT while the Vee Gee was.

Anyways, the point is that although there is no expiration listed on the bottle, I would not recommend using any calibration fluid more than a couple years, and I would be sure to store it in a cool dark location with a tightly sealed lid and maybe even put a mark on the level when you close the bottle.

Of course all this is waaaaaay OCD and unnecessary for most, but for the few crazy reefers like me it's all part of keeping my water as close to "natural" as possible . . . whatever that means

Last edited by JPMagyar; 11/24/2014 at 07:18 AM.

Tags
amazon, cheap refractometers, refractometers