Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2016, 07:37 PM   #1
neostyles
Registered Member

3 Fish Dead and bleached corals

so, in the last 3 days I've lost 3 Fishes and yesterday all my corals went form color to completely bleached, closed polyps and were spreading mucus.

100 gal with 40 gal sump

ph 8.3
Nitrite 0.007 ppm
Phosphate 0.00
Calcium 567 ppm Never been able to lower it
Alkalinity 10.5 dkh
Magnesium 1600 ppm
salinity 1.026

I recently upgraded from a 50 gal to a 100 gal, about two months ago. i used the same live rock and most of the water from the old one. Can the tank still go thru a mini cycle? i did an ammonia reading using an API test kit and its about 0.25-0.50. can that be the reason? i have been doing weekly 15% water changes using rodi water.

any help would be most appreciated. as i still have some livestock in tank.

neostyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2016, 07:43 PM   #2
CarrieB
Registered Member

I'm not an expert, but it seems unlikely to me that a cycle due to a tank move would kill fish two months later. If you had a cycle, you would have seen problems in days, not months.

Seems like the ammonia is a result of the deaths or some other reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarrieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2016, 08:04 PM   #3
mokeyz
Premium Member

Is it possible that some chemical got into the tank? Something maybe airborne like a cleaning liquid (windex), or could there have been residual stuff on your hands? Or, tobacco smoke or tobacco juice, something like that.

mokeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2016, 08:20 PM   #4
neostyles
Registered Member

Hmm. Not sure about the cleaning chemical, but I don't smoke and no one here does. The reason that I believe the ammonia is to blame is cause of the sudden death of the fish and how they acted before passing, sitting still at the bottom of the tank gasping for air. But how if I'm doing weekly water changes and it wasn't a cycle how would the ammonia get so high?

Unread 07/21/2016, 09:19 PM   #5
ben01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neostyles View Post
i did an ammonia reading using an API test kit and its about 0.25-0.50.
The API ammonia test kit often gives false positives for low levels of ammonia in saltwater. I doubt that was what killed everything.

ben01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2016, 09:56 PM   #6
mokeyz
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben01 View Post
The API ammonia test kit often gives false positives for low levels of ammonia in saltwater. I doubt that was what killed everything.
I agree. how are the rest of the creatures you have left doing? crabs, shrimp? Could bleach have gotten into the tank? did you recently clean something?

What other testing have you done and what are the readings?

mokeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2016, 10:27 PM   #7
neostyles
Registered Member

My snails look fine, and the rest of the fish as well, hippo tang, red flame angel, lemon peel angel, domino damsel and my black and white clown are all active and eating well. Is just my corals that look sad no extension and no color on my montipora.

Unread 07/21/2016, 10:33 PM   #8
neostyles
Registered Member

I haven't tested for anything else. A few day ago I cleaned my reactor canisters for gfo and carbon I use vinegar and rodi water. As far as for the rest of my fish they all seem fine very active and eating well. Corals look bad no polyp extension and no color on my montipora. I haven't had any other chemicals near the the tank.

Unread 07/22/2016, 06:57 AM   #9
scooter31707
Registered Member

Do you have small kids that could access the tank? Just a question, I have seen this happen to kids wants to feed the fish and puts stuff in the tank.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 07:07 AM   #10
Sonyardo
Registered Member

Checked your carbon filters lately on the RO/DI unit.

Sonyardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 07:29 AM   #11
plantastic
Registered Member

I've experienced similar symptomology from a couple of different sources...one occurrence was very quick and pervasive, which was a transformer plug for some LEDs that came apart and was dangling in the water...so, electricity.

The second occurrence wasn't as acute or pervasive, and mainly effected corals. That was from a magnet that developed a compromised seal and was rusting in the tank...

plantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 07:54 AM   #12
Timfish
Registered Member

What was the temperature? Could you have seen a spike above 88° 24-72 hours prior to the bleaching event?

Unread 07/22/2016, 08:17 AM   #13
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timfish View Post
What was the temperature? Could you have seen a spike above 88° 24-72 hours prior to the bleaching event?

This ^^

My house doesn't have AC and if I'm not watching, the tank temp can easily go over 85. I'm guessing this is the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 07/22/2016, 09:55 AM   #14
amcvay1979
Registered Member

do you carbon dose by chance?

amcvay1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 10:29 AM   #15
GimpyFin
Registered Member

I'd maybe try a different ammonia test to see where you're really at. Did you examine your 3 dead fish at all? If the fish have any red bruise like marks on their body, it can be a sign of ammonia poisoning.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 10:51 AM   #16
neostyles
Registered Member

My carbon filters on my rodi unit are fine my tds is around 8 before going to the final stage. I don't carbon dose just alkalinity and calcium. The temp on my tank is between 75-80 my chiller and heater are working fine. The one thing I did was right after my first loss (magnificent foxface) I did maintanance on my pumps and reactors, I also cleaned my uv sterilizer and re-plumbed it differently when I put it back, after moving it I realize that the lamp would go on and off, so I replaced it. After several hours it would go off again, so I decided to take it out. A while after was when everything went bad for me. Wondering if there was stray voltage going to the tank? I looked at my fish and the domino damsel looked grayish not its usual black, the yellow tang was perfect I tried placing it in a bucket with freshly made water and it would stay upright and was gasping for air. Now after removing the uv sterilizer my tank looks cloudy.
Not sure why.
Thanks for trying to help. Much appreciated

Unread 07/22/2016, 11:22 AM   #17
bigfruits
Registered Member

I would make sure you are not getting stray voltage.
It also wouldn't hurt to double check to make sure your thermometer and whatever you use to measure salinity are accurate.

bigfruits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2016, 11:21 PM   #18
Sonyardo
Registered Member

My carbon filters on my rodi unit are fine my tds is around 8 before going to the final stage.

Have you ever tested the product water of the RO/DI for traces of Ammonia, Chloramine, Chlorine? If you never have then you might learn something about TDS meters and carbon filters. I'm just throwing it out there. It's a lesson that I learned the hard way. It's an issue not often discussed.

Sonyardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2016, 03:15 PM   #19
Sk8r
RC Mod

stray voltage, heat spike, or poisoning are my guesses. Carpet freshener, dryer sheets, scented candles, bug spray, or a sponge or gloves labeled antimicrobial....

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote