Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2006, 09:54 PM   #1
simplytexas
Registered Member

Question Need help with 6 month old tank

Hi, I bought a 55 gallon tank off a guy who had it up and running for nine years. I have had the tank now for a few months. Let me start by saying that my water conditions, according to my 4 part test kit, are perfect, and so is the lighting and filtration system. I cannot seem to keep powder blue tangs nor clowns alive. The odd thing is that the most sensitive corals just thrive in my tank. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my fish keep dying? I am doing everything I know to do and can't manage to keep these guys alive. Other fish currently in my tank are damsel, royal gramma, hippo tang, yellow tang and hawk fish. Most all of them have some level of ick and have it most of the time. I have snails, crabs and starfish as well. I maintain a constant temp and salt level. Thanks in advance.

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon coral and fish tank
simplytexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 09:59 PM   #2
angelsj247
Registered Member

what do your test include.. and what are they? need to know..

Current Tank Info: 20gal FOWLR
angelsj247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 10:17 PM   #3
simplytexas
Registered Member

We use the Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit, it includes: High range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. My levels are pH - 8.4, Nitrate- 10, but looking on my records, on the 9th, it spiked to 40, Nitrite- 0, and Ammonia- .25 or less. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 55 gallon coral and fish tank
simplytexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 10:21 PM   #4
old salty
Genius

I steered away from Powder Blue Tangs as many folks have stated that they are quite difficult to keep, especially for beginners. Since your fish have ich, this may compound the problem as well.

Current Tank Info: Out of the marine aquarium hobby
old salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2006, 10:23 PM   #5
mg426
Registered Member

i am sure that the mention of ick is not helping things. Also three tangs in a 55 is less than ideal.

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef 110 lbs LR, 1x250watt XM 20K MH 2x175watt XM 20K MH on Magetics 2X96 watt actinic PC, 220 watt VHO actinic, 30 gallon refugium, closed loop system powered by Sequence Dart MSX 200 skimmer 38 gallon sump, Oceansmotions squirt
mg426 is offline   Reply With Quote