Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2009, 11:02 AM   #1
tastingSalty
Registered Member

Raising my Mg - no workz it

So after purchasing this:

Mg

I added 1/2 a teaspoon at first to my tank to raise my Mg from 1040ppm. After testing my Mg an hour later, Mg stayed the same. I added a whole teaspoon . . . and then another whole teaspoon. STILL, my Mg levels remain THE SAME. I am pretty frustrated right now. I can't add any more for another day as I am only supposed to add about 15 grams (3 teaspoons) maximum per day. I really want to raise my Mg specifically to stimulate coralline growth.

Any ideas as to why Mg is not changing guys?

Learning is everything in reefkeeping.

Current Tank Info: 12g Nano Mixed Reef Hybrid ZeoVit/Neo-Zeo, 150w MH DE, 10g sump with Octopus NWB-150 Protein Skimmer, CPR overflow, Koralia PHs, ATO.com, TLF Reactor, QuietOne Return Pump, ReefKeeper Lite
tastingSalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 11:11 AM   #2
tastingSalty
Registered Member

I should mention that I'm using a brand new salifert test kit, so it's not that . . .

Current Tank Info: 12g Nano Mixed Reef Hybrid ZeoVit/Neo-Zeo, 150w MH DE, 10g sump with Octopus NWB-150 Protein Skimmer, CPR overflow, Koralia PHs, ATO.com, TLF Reactor, QuietOne Return Pump, ReefKeeper Lite
Unread 06/10/2009, 11:25 AM   #3
surge19us
Registered Member

It takes a signifigantly larger amount of Mag to raise the total system params than say calcium or alk. You should shoot to raise mag no more than about 100ppm per day to get to 1350ppm. For a cheaper alternative to what you are using check here.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Calciu...1_4/index.html
Once you get to the desired level it depletes slowly and should only require monthly additions to maintain levels.
For instance using mag chloride only in a ten gallon water volume would require the addition of 97.8 grams or about 23 teaspoons.
more info here http://www.2partcalculator.com/

Current Tank Info: 120 gal 30 gal sump/fuge, ATB Econo 840 skimmer, 2 Vortech MP40w, AC Jr., 2-250watt MH 20K Radiums, Lumen Max 2 reflectors, 2 tek T5 retro actinic, Prime chiller, ATO/kalk reactor, drews dosers on two part.
surge19us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

be very careful adding bio-magnesium, slowly is the best method, im unsure why it has not risen, perhaps you should consider a better salt long term.

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 11:43 AM   #5
tastingSalty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael
be very careful adding bio-magnesium, slowly is the best method, im unsure why it has not risen, perhaps you should consider a better salt long term.

Already got you on that one! I have a brand new bucket of D-D Pro Plus salt (it's got better levels of Mg in it). I just have to finish this bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro salt before I crack her open.

Unread 06/10/2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Michael
NTTH Rookie Help

Quote:
Originally posted by tastingSalty
Already got you on that one! I have a brand new bucket of D-D Pro Plus salt (it's got better levels of Mg in it). I just have to finish this bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro salt before I crack her open.
great move, its great salt, you wont be disappointed

MY Very Kindest and Warmest Regards ,
MIKE

Current Tank Info: I have a 92 gal Corner Tank, and way too many pieces of equipment to list really, (proud member of the reef central corner club)
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 12:00 PM   #7
tastingSalty
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys.

Do you think it's OK to go past the 15 gram limit that it states on the container as long as I add the magnesium slowly and monitor the levels so as to not increase by >100ppm?

The Seachem Mg I have is a mixture of magnesium sulfate and sodium chloride. The BRS calculator states that in order to raise my Mg level by 100ppm using their magnesium sulfate heptahydrate, it would take 52.2 grams. So, if I wanted to raise it by (a safe) 50ppm each day, I would need to dose about 25 grams, therefore going over the limit on the seachem container. [I know that this is a rough estimate because the seachem product is obviously different from the BRS one, but I think it could be a relatively good estimation]

What do you think?

Unread 06/10/2009, 12:17 PM   #8
surge19us
Registered Member

You should be Ok just dissolve it well in RO/DI water and add to a high flow area wait an hour and retest. 50 to 80 ppm per day until you get there should be fine.

Current Tank Info: 120 gal 30 gal sump/fuge, ATB Econo 840 skimmer, 2 Vortech MP40w, AC Jr., 2-250watt MH 20K Radiums, Lumen Max 2 reflectors, 2 tek T5 retro actinic, Prime chiller, ATO/kalk reactor, drews dosers on two part.
surge19us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 12:37 PM   #9
tastingSalty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by surge19us
You should be Ok just dissolve it well in RO/DI water and add to a high flow area wait an hour and retest. 50 to 80 ppm per day until you get there should be fine.

Will do, thanks again guys.

Unread 06/10/2009, 01:16 PM   #10
Waterobert
Registered Member

I also had to raise mag in my tank and it took a lot of suplemant. I was just adding it every two hours at it took three times more suplemant than what instruction said. I gues those things are not as potent as they clame to be.

Current Tank Info: 91 gallon reef tank, 26 gallon custom sump, ATB 840, 2 250 MH,mostly LPS with few SPS
Waterobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 01:19 PM   #11
Tswifty
Registered Member

I've used that stuff before. I had to add an entire large bottle of it to my 90g tank to raise my Mag. That particular brand is on the Reef Chemistry Calculator (the reason I used it in that instance)... so you can just input your params to get the exact amount you need to dose.

As mentioned above, be sure to mix it well and let it dissolve in RO/DI water before adding it to a high flow area.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Unread 06/10/2009, 01:20 PM   #12
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Waterobert
I also had to raise mag in my tank and it took a lot of suplemant. I was just adding it every two hours at it took three times more suplemant than what instruction said. I gues those things are not as potent as they clame to be.
Use this next time:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Magnesium levels aren't the easiest to maintain IMO unless you dose multiple times per week. Also, it goes a long way if you choose a salt mix with high levels of Mag, or buffer your water change water ahead of time.

On my 40g tank... 60-70g total system volume. I dose 140ml per week (2 doses of 70ml each throughout the week) of DT's Pure Reef Elements Magnesium, to maintain my Mag level over 1400 ppm.

Unread 06/10/2009, 01:25 PM   #13
tastingSalty
Registered Member

Yeah, I'll have quite a bit of supplementin to do . . .

Sweet calculator. Thanks Ts!

Unread 06/10/2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Tswifty
Registered Member

No problem... It's a great tool, takes the guess work out of it.

Unread 06/10/2009, 01:49 PM   #15
jdieck
Registered Member

For an aquarium with about 15 gallons like yours you will need to add around 150 grams of the Seachem Magnesium (30 teaspoons total) to increase magnesium from 1040 to 1250 ppm. Add 1/3 of it every day for three days over a three day period (10 teaspoons / day) and measure two hours after each addition and adjust the amount of supplement if required.

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef, DSB, 40 g sump w/ LRT100 return, 37 g pre-sump, 3 MH 250 W 15K, 4 96 W PC dual actinic,ETS 1500 Skim.w/LRT70, 20 lb Ca R., 40 W UV, 1/3 HP chiller, two 350 W Htrs, Neptune II Cont., 330 P LR/ 330 P LS. 55 gal Refugium
jdieck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2009, 01:56 PM   #16
tastingSalty
Registered Member

that's just about exactly what I was gonna do. Thanks!

Unread 06/10/2009, 07:07 PM   #17
tastingSalty
Registered Member

Update:

Just finished my dose for today, and it's up to 1125ppm from 1040ppm. An increase of 85ppm. I ended up adding 10.5 teaspoons total of the Seachem Mg. So far so good - will repeat tomorrow.

BTW surge, thanks for the link to the BRS magnesium, that's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Unread 06/10/2009, 07:56 PM   #18
jdieck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tastingSalty
Update:

Just finished my dose for today, and it's up to 1125ppm from 1040ppm. An increase of 85ppm. I ended up adding 10.5 teaspoons total of the Seachem Mg. So far so good - will repeat tomorrow.

BTW surge, thanks for the link to the BRS magnesium, that's a hell of a lot cheaper.
Seems you have some variation in the testing, depending on the test after tomorrow's supplementation you may need to reduce the last dose to 5 teaspoons.

Current Tank Info: 225 gal reef, DSB, 40 g sump w/ LRT100 return, 37 g pre-sump, 3 MH 250 W 15K, 4 96 W PC dual actinic,ETS 1500 Skim.w/LRT70, 20 lb Ca R., 40 W UV, 1/3 HP chiller, two 350 W Htrs, Neptune II Cont., 330 P LR/ 330 P LS. 55 gal Refugium
Unread 06/10/2009, 08:09 PM   #19
tastingSalty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
Seems you have some variation in the testing, depending on the test after tomorrow's supplementation you may need to reduce the last dose to 5 teaspoons.
I think the difference might be caused by the actual amount of water in my system. I have been estimating at 14 or 15 gallons. I am unsure what the exact amount is with the displacement from live rock and equipment. I will be eyeing the level closely tomorrow. I was looking to achieve a final Mg level of 1295ppm with this regimen though:

Today: 1040 -> 1125 with 10.5t
Tomorrow: 1125 -> 1210 with 10.5t
Friday: 1210 -> +-1295 with 10.5

Is 1295ppm to high of a level to shoot for? I like being in the middle

Unread 06/10/2009, 09:40 PM   #20
jdieck
Registered Member

No, 1295 is not high, actually the recomended range is 1250 to 1350 ppm Just suggested maintaining 1250 ppm for some time as your system has been with low magnesium for a while so you have some time to gauge the system reaction to the increase.
Also there is the potential with some supplements of magnesium that there could be traces of Ammonia so the idea is to doing it over time gives the bacteria time to proces whatever traces of Ammonia might be added.