Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/20/2013, 10:48 PM   #1676
shaggss
Registered Member

Thought I saw you yesterday, was this you?

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2013, 05:37 PM   #1677
MikeAshworth13
Registered Member

Wow, this build is truly amazing!

I am new to the hobby myself and am planning a build relatively similar to yours. A rimless 90 Gallon 48Lx18Wx24H. I am currently in the process of quoting my tank with miracles and am debating on getting them to construct my stand as well. I really love your stands exterior design... How much did the stand cost?

MikeAshworth13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2013, 05:15 AM   #1678
Bello
Registered Member

Looking great

Are you able to take pics as easily as you were, when running pure T5's?

Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2013, 05:50 AM   #1679
biggles
Registered Member

The new light looks great, the reef is disgustingly beautiful as always mate. I'm really pleased you haven't had any probs introducing the new light setup in regards to the corals. Did you start the LED's low and build them up or use a PAR meter to dial it in. Sorry for the questions but i'm sure others contemplating the hybrid upgrade would like to hear your thoughts on introducing the new LED light into the T5 system

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2013, 09:01 AM   #1680
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark54321 View Post
Looks great !!! Funny my fixture doesn't have this clip to hold the acrylic from sagging, I guess they did it on newer models.
Thank you Mark. Yeah, I think it is on the new models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancelot View Post
Awesome!
Thanks Ancelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggss View Post
Thought I saw you yesterday, was this you?

LOL... I watched the game on TV so it certainly wasn't me. Nearly died from the stress!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAshworth13 View Post
Wow, this build is truly amazing!

I am new to the hobby myself and am planning a build relatively similar to yours. A rimless 90 Gallon 48Lx18Wx24H. I am currently in the process of quoting my tank with miracles and am debating on getting them to construct my stand as well. I really love your stands exterior design... How much did the stand cost?
Welcome Mike and thank you for your kind words. I am not sure of the cost as it was an all in one package with the move I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
Looking great

Are you able to take pics as easily as you were, when running pure T5's?
Hi Bello, thank you. Yes the pictures are alot easier to take than just with LEDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
The new light looks great, the reef is disgustingly beautiful as always mate. I'm really pleased you haven't had any probs introducing the new light setup in regards to the corals. Did you start the LED's low and build them up or use a PAR meter to dial it in. Sorry for the questions but i'm sure others contemplating the hybrid upgrade would like to hear your thoughts on introducing the new LED light into the T5 system
Thanks mate... No haven't got the PAR meter out yet but hope to do sometime soon. I'll answer your questions about the unit shortly in a new post. Cheers

Zeovit Featured Tank 2012
Reef Central TOTM Nov 2013
Reef Hobbyist Magazine Featured Tank 2015

Current Tank Info: 'A Reef in the Sky'
v1...rotate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2013, 10:16 AM   #1681
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Initial impressions of the ATI Hybrid

I am one to not carry on about a new product that hasn't been proven or tested over time however I will simply say that so far this light unit is impressing me greatly. Time will tell if it continues to do so. I have written a few notes about my experience with this light unit so far.

Build Quality
As expected from German engineering... EXCELLENT!!

Functions
The functionality and programming ability of the light unit is extremely good. The unit can be programmed from the LED power supply or through a program that can be download from here. Install it on your computer, connect the LED power supply to your laptop (mine is vintage which runs windows XP), open up the program and bingo!!

I have the 8x80W + 4x75W Hybrid. There are two channels for the T5 bulbs. Channel 1 controls x4 bulbs (1,2,7 & 8) and channel 2 controls the other x4 bulbs (3,4,5 & 6). I have the dimmable Hybrid version so all bulbs can be fully controlled from 0-100% intensity at any time I choose. Each of the x4 LED clusters can be fully controlled, from intensity to colour representation. The program allows you to chose pre programmed colours that represent ATI bulbs (Blue +, Purple + etc) or you can customise each. This is achieved by adjusting the intensity of each of the 4 separate colour channels for each cluster of LEDs. The four colour channels are Red, Royal Blue, Blue and White. As you can imagine... it gives an exceptional amount of flexibility. I prefer to program it through the computer as it gives you a graphical representation.

Cooling fans
The cooling fans impress me as they run automatically when required and are triggered to operate by temperature sensors. Most importantly, I can't hear them at all due to my MP40W ES.

No more sag
The newer version of the Hybrid comes with a hole at each end of the unit to allow you to place a clip to stop the perspex from sagging due to heat, age and gravity. A most welcome addition.

Shimmer
I am pleased to say that this unit provides a shimmer effect with the use of LEDs. You can achieve a large shimmer effect by simply turning down the T5 intensity or vice versa if you only want a little. I personally little only a little shimmer.

Acclimatising the new lights
Besides the burning in of the T5 bulbs which I had already done, I went against protocol and ran the lights at full intensity from day one but of course monitored the corals closely. After 2 weeks, I have seen zero side effects, no burning of coral tips or bleaching of any sorts.

Evening shots

I have managed to take a few evening shots (something I find very hard to do).
This picture shows only the LEDs operating. Each cluster can be programmed to whatever appearance you choose: Blue Plus, Purple Plus, etc... It gives great flexibly.

In this picture, three of the four clusters of LEDs are at 2% intensity. The far right is at a higher intensity which is creating an awesome spot light effect. The scenarios you can create are endless.

I hope to get a few screenshots of the program and my light schedule soon.

Unread 09/25/2013, 10:19 AM   #1682
SPotter
Registered Member

Looks awesome!!!!! So you are able to dim the t5's on your light? The 8x80 hybrid being sold in the states is not dimmable.

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2013, 11:54 AM   #1683
glaukos
Registered Member

dream tank!!
Love the way that your corals fill the tank and not the rock!
How many years do you have your achilles?

Unread 09/25/2013, 11:58 AM   #1684
glaukos
Registered Member

dp sorry

Last edited by glaukos; 09/25/2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: double post
glaukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2013, 02:36 PM   #1685
Rogerh
Registered Member

The lamp looks sweet, I think I wan`t one for my tank too

One question, after looking at your last video(again), I wonder why you don`t use a filtersock on your returnpipes?
Do you find that with flow in your sump, the skimmer takes care of the detrius and other stuff that normaly a filtersock would catch?

Current Tank Info: Wohaa 455L
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2013, 05:45 PM   #1686
BryceHS
Registered Member

Your tank looks great, love all the SPS

BryceHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2013, 07:49 PM   #1687
Alex T.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Looks awesome!!!!! So you are able to dim the t5's on your light? The 8x80 hybrid being sold in the states is not dimmable.
Uh oh.

Current Tank Info: Currently in reboot mode
Alex T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2013, 07:50 PM   #1688
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex T. View Post
Uh oh.
stalker!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2013, 04:53 PM   #1689
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

I know somebody who has the dimmible version of the ATIs. Have to look him up first.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2013, 09:18 PM   #1690
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Thanks... Yeah the 230V versions are fully dimmable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
dream tank!!
Love the way that your corals fill the tank and not the rock!
How many years do you have your achilles?
Thankyou, I'm impressed too on how they have grown. I think I have had the Achilles for 3.5yrs. Certainly the boss of the reef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
The lamp looks sweet, I think I wan`t one for my tank too

One question, after looking at your last video(again), I wonder why you don`t use a filtersock on your returnpipes?
Do you find that with flow in your sump, the skimmer takes care of the detrius and other stuff that normaly a filtersock would catch?
Thank you. The only reason I don't use a filter sock on the drains is that they need replacing/washing every couple of days and that's something I don't want to do. Would it help more?... most certainly but it's not an option for me.
I have increased flow in both sections of the sump using x2 Tunze 6045 and this helps the detritus settling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceHS View Post
Your tank looks great, love all the SPS
Thank you Bryce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
I know somebody who has the dimmible version of the ATIs. Have to look him up first.
Yeah there are a lot that have dimmable units.

Unread 09/27/2013, 12:39 AM   #1691
ryanrid
Registered Member

here are the PAR figures my brothers and my results with the 8x54w version
First number is T5+LED, (Number in brackets is LED only @ 100%)

will be interesting to see the difference with the 80w version

bulb combo should also be taken into account however

ryanrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2013, 03:53 AM   #1692
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Those PAR number are damn impressive....
As expected this hybrid is a BEAST!!
The LEDs alone PAR are very impressive too....
Definately a boosted up unit...
"Reef In The Sky" is gonna leave the sky and gonna go OUTER SPACE now....

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2013, 09:12 AM   #1693
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Those are VERY impressive PAR numbers. This is almost like MH (ie in terms of both T5+LED).

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 12:38 AM   #1694
ormet
Just one more frag

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1...rotate View Post
Initial impressions of the ATI Hybrid
How is color blending from leds? Rainbows? My led fixture gives me seizures ....

ryanrid maybe you feel like chiming in as well.

br
Daniel

Current Tank Info: 225 litres SPS
ormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 05:51 PM   #1695
ryanrid
Registered Member

the colour blending is fine, it does not spotlight/disco effect like some units. TBH when all lights are on it looks like an old school MH T5 combo unit like the geissman infiniti.

ryanrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 05:55 PM   #1696
DAA13
Registered Member

So nice & clean and well planed ! I admire your organization skills .

DAA13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 07:15 PM   #1697
Kurkis493
Registered Member

My 24" hybrid came today!!! Where do we purchase the clips for the unit to hold-up the acrylic?

Kurkis493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2013, 02:33 AM   #1698
ormet
Just one more frag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrid View Post
the colour blending is fine, it does not spotlight/disco effect like some units. TBH when all lights are on it looks like an old school MH T5 combo unit like the geissman infiniti.
Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 225 litres SPS
ormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2013, 02:38 AM   #1699
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

Hi Andrew,
I had a question...
What is your daily/weekly Alk drop or consumption?
Have you tested for that recently?
Is it fluctuating or the drop is consistent value?

Thanks in advance

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2013, 01:25 AM   #1700
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Quote:
here are the PAR figures my brothers and my results with the 8x54w version
First number is T5+LED, (Number in brackets is LED only @ 100%)

will be interesting to see the difference with the 80w version

bulb combo should also be taken into account however
Thanks for the photo Ryan. Your tank is looking great! I took some readings of my unit with the T5 and LEDs on at 100%. I'll post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Noob View Post
Those PAR number are damn impressive....
As expected this hybrid is a BEAST!!
The LEDs alone PAR are very impressive too....
Definately a boosted up unit...
"Reef In The Sky" is gonna leave the sky and gonna go OUTER SPACE now....
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Those are VERY impressive PAR numbers. This is almost like MH (ie in terms of both T5+LED).
I took some photos for comparison. They will be below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormet View Post
How is color blending from leds? Rainbows? My led fixture gives me seizures ....

ryanrid maybe you feel like chiming in as well.

br
Daniel
The colour blending fine. One thing I like is you don't get the disco effect on the sand bead as you do with a pure LED unit

Quote:
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA13 View Post
So nice & clean and well planed ! I admire your organization skills .
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurkis493 View Post
My 24" hybrid came today!!! Where do we purchase the clips for the unit to hold-up the acrylic?
Im not sure. Maybe contact your dealer. There are other options here ATI Powermodule Hybrid Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Noob View Post
Hi Andrew,
I had a question...
What is your daily/weekly Alk drop or consumption?
Have you tested for that recently?
Is it fluctuating or the drop is consistent value?

Thanks in advance
I took some screen shots of my dosing. My dosing amounts are actually starting to increase a fair bit

My ALK is approx 6
Daily dose is 130ml

Ca is 380 at the moment
Daily dose is 95ml